Saturday, July 11, 2009

the wrestler

no. 98 The Wrestler

I have to admit I was really skeptical about this film. How could the subject matter be appropriate for a Darren Aronofsky film? DA deals with some serious stuff, not some has been story about men in tights who's glory day has past, how underneath him.

DUDE, I was totally wrong. This was SO an Aronofsky film, all the way. I loved it, every bit. His stamp was all over it, he took the material and made it his own, casting that eye on every detail. He has this amazing ability to bring out the best in his actors and this might be his crowning jewel. It had been touted as Mickey Rourke's big comeback, he did get a big Oscar nod, but again, I was skeptical. He brought the character to life, as if he had creeped into my life, hanging out with aged rock stars trying to still "live the life", although, it's clear, he's hanging on by his fingernails. Marisa Tomei was amazing - can you believe the body she still has!? OMG. In all of my straight-ness, I couldn't help but oogle over her.

It's painful to see Randy move through this short time we're allowed to see in his life. I've worked for enough celebrities to understand exactly where he is, the humble pie he's had to eat, the circumstances of his living arrangement, his job at the market. I LOVED the scene where he's getting ready to work at the Deli. I've walked this path, Scorpion in hand, walking along the white taped line to the stage. It was as if DA was channeling his inner live concert film maker!

My major disappointment was that there were no features. Then again, he's not known for doing this, I was just hoping he'd finally make a big jump and allow us inside his head. One of these days, he's going to cave in. I cannot wait.

No comments: