Monday, July 13, 2009

tristan and isolde

no.106 Tristan and Isolde

There are a million different versions of this pre-Arthurian (Lancelot and Guinevere) tale... but I think this might be my favorite version of the star crossed lovers. Wagner is really hard (Opera in German? That's like running in tar. Plus, this opera is so expensive to produce, I don't think I'll ever see it on stage.) Others take the story and put a clever current (to the production) twist with cultural or political and familial ties. I think I like this the best because the relationship is not one lead from potions or trickery. I like that it's the correct period. I hate admitting its more so because I really am a romantic at heart - I love a great story, but this is so much better told from the perspective of desire and need, not magic.

I could give up the Scott title (who needs another Tony and Ridley Scott movie, really?) But I think this might be the one role that I like seeing on James Franco's CV. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the stoner, pathethic rich boy missing daddy, gay lover, and really digging that he's taking his pretty mug off the screen to start writing (hint*hot boys who are smart are SOOO much hotter) and I cannot wait to see him as Ginsberg. It's been so long since I saw this I totalyly forgot Henry Cavill was in it!

No comments: