Saturday, July 11, 2009

wendy and lucy

no.99 Wendy and Lucy

I'm not really sure what to make of this short film (no, not short, but short as in just over an hour.) It was paraded around as a fantastic piece for Michele Williams, a quiet and moving indie, where she didn't wash her hair for days to stay in character. Is it a story of desperation? One going to terrible lengths, literally to Alaska, to find their identity? Are we to see this as a statement of how Americans do not have a "life" or even exist if they do not have an address or phone number, both of which are required to get a job? Is this a piece about someone who is escaping?

Face value, your heart bleeds for Wendy as the very few things she has in life are being pulled from her, some lost. Her desperation to find Lucy is painful, her encounter in the woods in downright frightening. I wish I knew what way I should view this piece - my opinion varies greatly depending on which way my compass points. Maybe it's meant to be whatever the viewer wants it to be, a different film for everyone.

Opinion? For once, I'm totally not sure. Then again, that is an opinion, no?

No comments: