Saturday, July 11, 2009

hp 1

no.102 Harry Potter and the Sorcersor's Stone

I've pre-purchased my tickets for the Midnight showing of HP VI: HBP, so it's time to rewatch the films. I re-read HBP last month, check. There was a long period where I didn't have cable, owned a ton of DVDs and had alot of Netflix envelopes in my mailbox. I used to watch the HP movies all the time. Then I realised that cable is great and one of my best coping mechanisms. Full cable is not a luxury, but a necessity in my house. That means that I haven't seen the HP collection in ages. It's funny, but I certainly have a new take.

HP & SS almost feels and looks like a B movie. I don't know how I came to that conclusion last night, but it doesn't feel like a big blockbuster/huge budget movie anymore. Some of the shots, the gags, the OVER the top acting by the kids, maybe it's just lost it's mystery to me, which is really sad. I didn't feel like the little kid in me was enjoying the story, I wasn't swept away and wound up in it, which is kinda sad. I'm hoping that in viewing the other four, I won't feel old and jaded ;*(

I remember this film being the jump point for me. We were living in LA and DR/T, Petey and I went to the midnight viewing. They had read all the books up to that point and I was skeptical at best about the Boy Who Lived. I hadn't bought into the hype of the books, naysayed a kids book. Once the film rolled, I was sucked in, totally and completely, into JK's world. The next day I drove the hour plus to DR/T's so that I could grab all four books, upon which I holed up in my room and read all four as fast as possible so that I could give them back when they arrived for Thanksgiving dinner. Since then, I've been an HP nut. I cannot wait until Tuesday night - unfortunately I have to go solo, so I won't dress up, but I'll be pulling out the Dumbledore's Army tshirt with pride!

No comments: