Sunday, July 26, 2009

the doors

no.115 The Doors

GOD, it's been so long since I've seen this film, which totally captures a period of my teenage years where I was so attached to Jim Morrison. In fact, I was convinced that his death was staged and he was living in Bangor, Maine running a little head shop called the Grasshopper (watch Doors live at the Bowl and you'll find the seed that got germinated during a visit to see the twins in the northern wonderland.)

Although this was inspired by Riders on the Storm, the remaining band members felt that Oliver Stone went too far when portraying Jim as asshole, self centered, etc. Most accounts I have read is that he really was shy, a poet, and needed to gear himself up for being the rock god on stage, drinking into a stupor. I think Val Kilmer was amazing, the fact that all the live singing was actually him, any song as part of the soundtrack was the real recording with Jim's voice. I remember hearing on MTV that Michael Hutchence was actually in the running for the part - the one film he did was shite, but I would have loved to see him pull off the Lizard King.

There are alot of great scenes, classic lines. Meg Ryan is brilliant, tripping her ass off screaming, "you killed my duck!" (I use that all the time.) Kyle MacLachlan is nearly unrecognizable in his depiction of Manzarek.

Dana and I met Robbie Kreiger when we were like 18 - we were so unbelievably excited. I remember them asking if we were of age, which makes me laugh. If I counted the times I've had to ask that in a day's work...

"Teenage death girls want my dick, not my words."
"Come on, let's get some tacos."

No comments: