Saturday, July 11, 2009

hp3

no.104 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban


Ah, there's the magic! It never really left, I just had to keep looking! I'm sure I'll comment on this after I've finished the lot, but Alfonso Cuaron may have been the best thing to happen to HP. Too bad he passed on directing Four - word is he was knees deep in Post and wanted to wrap Three, but they wanted to move on Four. Too bad! AC brought HP a sense of modernity; the clothing, the colors. Where Columbus saw the magic world as being a bit antiquated, AC pulled the magic world up by it's bootstraps and gave the kids clothes we'd see on the streets of London (well, maybe Surrey), but he put the magic and muggle world in even pace.


There were plenty of gags and giggles before, but screenwriter Steve Kloves must have clicked with AC's sensibilities - there's more comedy then before. Just the silly things - AC used nature as a transition, not only between beats in the story but to move us ahead through the seasons - the Whomping Willow as a centerpiece - and it's taking out of a bird. The Knight Bus was a perfect example of something of a giggle in the book, but it was fleshed out, complete with a shrunken head rather than fuzzy dice hanging from the rearview.


As always, the casting is amazing. However, with the death of Richard Harris and Micheal Gambon (who I believe was his stand in) makes for a VERY different Dumbledore. Before, he was subtle, soft spoken. The new Dumbledore is loud, his presence is never mistaken. I think his role also becomes more important to the storyline as the movie's progress, so this could be pointed, not just with the change of actor, but the buildup of his character. Emma Thompson is a perfect Trelawney; Timothy Spall on the money for Pettigrew; I wouldn't have come up with David Thewlis as Lupin, but I cannot see anyone else in the part.


I liked that AC moved around the castle grounds - the look of the castle the hill down to Hagrid's cottage. When I first watched it, I was angry that it wasn't the same, but now, I see that it was a wise choice and I like that it's a little different. Again, pushing the modern button, even if it's just the castle...and LOVE the huge clock, showing how important time is to this chapter.

Two of my favorite Potter moments come in this film: when Ron and the boys indulge in a little candy and Ron roars like a lion and when Neville confronts his boggart - Snape in his grandmother's clothing :)

No comments: