Wednesday, July 8, 2009

evil dead trilogy

no. 91 Evil Dead

It was painful to sit through this, but I knew I must if I was going to do a Bruce Campbell Birthday Trilogy Celebration. My idea with my Jooper friends, so I had to watch the entire movie. I had heard great things about II and Army, that I had to find something good in this. Didn't. Gore for gore's sake. I realise this was their first "professional" film, with financiers being local Michigan dentists and what not.

no. 92 Evil Dead II

Where we see the Sam Raimi we have come to know. Three Stooges gags left and right. Quick jumps, really interesting framing. Bruce went from just the good looking guy in the scary flick to funny, charismatic and a little more buff. This had a plot and actual dialogue (I'm not saying it was Oscar worthy, but they said more in ten minutes than the entirety of the first.) Who in the world wants to take a new girlfriend (same name) to a creepy old cabin that already tried to kill you? Ted Raimi makes an appearance, which is really funny. The gore is more colorful - they used milk, black blood, all different substances so that the ratings board wouldn't tell them to tone down the bloodiness.

no. 93 Army of Darkness

Did not fail...whatever happened to the B movie, I ask? Campy, funny, more Three Stooges. Bruce becomes this arrogant stud, much different than the Ash he's portrayed in the past, but he carries it well. Another case of blending current with past culture, it's own comedy genre to itself.

No comments: