Saturday, July 11, 2009

eternals

Neil Gaiman - Eternals

I was able to pick up the Eternals at the local library - it wasn't a bad read. So many people have told me that I need to read his comics/graphic novels since I'm a big fan of his "prose" fiction, if you will. Some say that regardless of his prolific work, he's a hack, so I'm hoping to debunk those folks. I've got a long summer list of Gaiman, to say the least.

The Eternals, although the story line was not his, he picked up a "reboot" of Jack Kirby, you can see his finger prints all over it. I think that the story line was incomplete, that it should have gone further, more depth, but good regardless. It fell in line with a theme he digs, the gods of the past and how they exist in the future, ie. American Gods. I recently read Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny and when I posted it on GoodReads.com, a friend slammed me for not giving it five stars as it was amongst his favorite all time reads. I told him if he's like a better take on the subject matter to pick up American Gods. No, I'm not off topic - there's an interview included within the Eternals where Gaiman talks about how he wanted American Gods to be a book that Zelazny would like (he had recently passed and the two were friends.) The same themes roll around and around through the years, everyone just has a different take.

No comments: