Saturday, July 11, 2009

tender morsels

Margo Lanagan - Tender Morsels

WOW, this book is considered Young Adult...and I must say, the YA classification isn't exactly what I think it should be. This is the sceond YA book I read where I thought there was material that was DEFINITELY not what I'd want my kids to read. That doesn't mean it wasn't a great book.

I picked this up as it had been on a Gaiman reading list - it's been posted on my bulletin board for a couple months now, so I figured I needed to get at it.

The story is about innocence spoiled, reimagined and lost again. After horrific events, Liga stumbles upon a magic world, her heart's desire, for her and her daughters. It isn't until this world has been compromised that she realizes it is not the true world but one of her making. Her daughters are night and day, yin and yang.

A very clever and heartfelt take, blending fairy take and the brutal reality if another, older world into a story that questions what we need and what we create for ourselves in desperate measures. Adventure, skepticism and a curious nature hold hands.

Honestly, it's just a bit too graphic and the subject matter, in my mind, not appropriate for anyone under 16. I mean, the story, in and of itself can be appreciate by a younger audience, but the back story and its explanation; I wasn't comfortable with, even at my age...

No comments: