Friday, February 27, 2009

gasp...choking here!

no. 29 Choke

While watching this, I kept saying to myself, "Man, I've got to go back and re-read this. What am I missing? Did I just blow through this read? What is my problem!" I'm a huge Chuck Palahniuk fan and have read almost everything he's written...

Overall, the movie's pretty good. It's not going to get my Grade A stamp, but I enjoyed it. The cast was phenomenal. Sam Rockell brings it every time. Angelica Houston? OMG she is still so gorgeous, can you believe how good she looked as the younger Ida? Check out her legs in those jeans! Kelly MacDonald is a favorite of mine, hook, line and sinker after she pulled off a west Texas accent in No Country, especially when you hear her native baroge (does that apply to only the Irish or Scottish, too?). Brad Henke pulls off the lovable and innocent Denny. The soundtrack was fab!

Who can forget the High Lord Charlie? Which brings me into patting Clark Gregg on the back. As usual, I love my Bonus Features and Choke delivered. The piece with Clark and Palahniuk was great. Immediately after watching this movie with Maggie, we talked about adaptation, how and when you come to the understanding that adaptation can never mean literal interpretation of the page (unless you're watching The DaVinci Code). That's exactly the conversation between the two, how Palahniuk wanted to be surprised by the expression of Clark, that there is no impact for the adapter unless they find a way into it on their own.

What I particularly liked about this discussion was why High Lord Charlie became more than just a super minor character - he was the foil to Victor, gave us the chance to see black and white. The center of the story being the fact that people are transformed not by being loved but by the act of loving.

1 comment:

JammyTruman said...

Love Sam and Angelica. After that revivew i now must rent it down here. Can't wait for the next Chuck movie, whatever that may be.