Sunday, January 25, 2009

seven real bucket sleuth

I just gotta catch up!

no. 14 The Bucket List
Granted, this was just another blah-ish comedy, but it has heart. One can only speak from experience, and experience is subjective (obviously). The idea actually caught me a little more than others, knowing that you can be that close to death. There is a part of me that knows I'm alive because I know that life is too beautiful - there is too much for me to see, learn, no matter how painful my own life might or can be.

no. 15 Seven Years In Tibet
For years, I said Brad can't act. New girlfriends, new looks. He has no personality so he can absorb another identity like a sponge. Granted, I think he's done that with Angie, but it appears he is working on his craft these days. As for Tibet, the accent was just horrible. I know this is based on a true story, so it's nice to see that the guy who has it all, high achiever, good looks, etc, doesn't get the girl.

no. 16 Sleuth
I don't remember reading anything about this when it was released, in fact, I was holding the disc in my hands, reading the label to my dad and couldn't remember why it was in my queue, other than I must have been looking at a bunch of films and added it. Then I realised it was a Jude Law movie, so I had to have added it just because I love looking at him. Dude, I couldn't have been bothered to look at him in this because he proved just how much he can fucking act. I think this is one of the best character films I have seen in the longest time. Kenneth Brannagh proves he is an amazing director and really gets language, composition, emotion. Some people just toss him off as the guy who's completely obsessed with Shakespeare, but he gets it.

no. 17 Dan In Real Life
No matter how many times I watch this, I always tear up during the talent show. Although, this time, I had a different read to it, watching it with my dad. I never realised how much I relate to Dan's character. Everyone loves Dan but all are appalled at his behavior and express this to him. He's alone, stuck in the laundry room on a cot. This is exactly how I feel when I'm with my family. They have their perceptions, but they are not realistic. Dan is made to contain his undeniable attraction and love for Marie, which is channeled in some odd ways of acting out like a teenager. I feel like that with my family - they don't see everything, but they don't ask. I made a smart assed comment to my brother over xmas. "Just because you never see me with a boyfriend does not make me a lesbian." Granted, his comeback had something to do with carpet munching doesn't entail a relationship. I've never been one to share my relationships with my family, not really with anyone. They're never cut and dry or easy to explain; complicated is being kind.

No comments: