Saturday, January 17, 2009

dune

no. 7 Dune

I finally had the time to sit through the entire movie at once. I must admit, I'm really not the biggest fan. This film to me, is a sum of its parts; the great cast, David Lynch, the VFX crew - which at the time was cutting edge. I'm sure if I dig for it, I'll find out that Tim Burton is a fan of the movie, ie: the big worm in Beetlejuice and the black "dry" suits for the desert look like Edward Scissorhands. I didn't start a list, if I did, I wouldn't have really been paying attention to the pacing, etc. There are so many of these iconic films that have been replayed on tv so much that its easy to have seen the movie times over, if you pieced it together. I'm glad HBO was running it tonight. If anything, so I can finally say I have seen it.

Brad Dourif is great! Kyle MacLachlan has this airy price look to him, the hair does it for me. I almost didn't recognise the super young and goregous Virginia Madsen. Dean Stockwell, Max von Sydow, Patrick Stewart, so many actors that make the cast really deep, at least when you look at it now. Man, whatever happened to Sean Young? She really should have kept her attitude in check, she would have been huge. And Sting? Well, he just looks really good.

No comments: