Thursday, January 22, 2009

bringing up baby

no. 12 Bringing Up Baby

I think this is a silly, silly movie. Although I love Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant, and it made me giggle when I put together Tony Curtis' fake Shell Oil accent as Grant's, I don't get how this has made top comedy and top film lists. This could have been pulled off in a 15 min short, it would have been just as funny. Like we didn't know from the minute David describes his bone is from a brontosaurus that she wasn't going to demolish it.

On a side note, my grandfather used to sing "I Can't Give You Anything But Love" to me all the time. I couldn't help but note that he was about my age when he most likely saw this movie. Update - of course, this is so stream of consciousness...the song was originally recorded in 1928 - so he was 20. He sang it to me from 1976-94. He'd been singing that for almost 70 years! Although I love Louis', Billie is my girl. I wonder who's he liked the best?

No comments: