Thursday, January 22, 2009

LOST ep 1 SPOILLLLLLLLLL

If I'm going to talk about LOST, I just need to get ideas off my chest. I refuse to spend hours on message boards. Maybe I can use this as a reference point to prove I was right about something :)

Tonight was great...and it sucked. They gave us enough that we've been waiting for, but had to throw in some clunky plot driving devices.

**I think the island is stuck in time. Think about the Constant, the back and forth in Desmond's consciousness, the bloody nose. If the island is trying to get "unstuck" Billy Pilgrim style, what can a huge chunk of earth do? I think the blender noise and violet sky is the island's version of a the cerebral hemorrhage. We're never given the chance to see what the time line is, which I'd be interested in. Timeline as in how often the island is trying to "reboot". That's really what I think it's doing. This is where the clunky plot push comes along. I hate that I get where the story is going and have to sit through the skips that the rest of the folks need. Yeah, we do need to see the freighter folk/Sawyer & Juliette try to figure out where they are in time, hatch, no hatch.

**Smoke Monster! Sawyer & Juliette refer to and you can see the black smoke from the freighter - BUT you see black smoke swirl not once, but twice, from the Beechcraft. First, right when it landed in the trees, second, I believe it was after Richard fixed Locke up.

**Desmond - Daniel says he is "special" and the rules don't apply. I think this is a simple one - although when a suited up Des comes to the door looking for a carrot line, he has no memory or shows no recollection of Daniel. I think it has to do with the timeline...it hasn't really happened yet, him turning the fail safe. He is special simply because he is a traveler - Ms. Hawkins has explained to him the nature of the universe and course correction. His utter fiber, his being has muscle memory even if he didn't have a conversation with Doc Brown.

**Charlotte - I think she's experiencing a form of "motion sickness", hence the bloody nose. She's not confused, she's not skipping around in her consciousness. I think it has to do with where she was born. Everyone else on the island is fine - whether they are moving in time or the island is, well, that's to be seen - but Charlotte is the only one who's symptomatic. I believe her past, present and future has to do with the island. If the island is freaking out and trying to get "unstuck", her birth on the island is in flux. I'll articulate it better soon.

**Richard said that he's not going to recognize Locke the next time they meet. It's because Richard stays in tune with the island, he's made of the same fabric, where and when the island goes, I believe he goes.

**Locke - Richard gives him a compass. It's the same compass he showed to the five year old Locke. It will hold truth for Richard. I also wonder, in the whole timeline, where and when Richard gets it back from Locke? Does he get it back, get stuck in time with the island, get off the island in 1960 and look for Locke then? Hmmm....

**Hurley was another clunky device. He was used to push the narrative forward, he got some really great scenes where we do see him as the moral compass. But overall, everything with Hurley in this season opener was a dud.

**Sun - something is really up her sleeve. She's not all just about killing Ben. There will be much more to come with her and Widmore - I think she'll be the way we learn about him...and more about how the island was his.

I guess I'm really wrapped up in the "how", not the "who" at this moment. I wanted to see more "how" as much as I love the characters. It was a bummer to see so little of Des and Penny, but they got their directive for ep 2.

No comments: