Tuesday, November 11, 2008

soooo behind!

Wow, I didn't realise how behind I am in logging my media munch...


Listening to ALOT of Y Rock on XPN...

Amelie: This was the first time I have viewed this since the original theatrical release in 2001. Audrey Tautou is so adorable, I really must Netflix more of her films. I don't know how I could have forgotten just how cute this film was! I constantly remind my friends to find enjoyment in the little things. If you wait for the big things in life, you might be terribly disappointed.

Sweet Land: I hate it when a script has dialogue in another language and doesn't provide subtitles. If it's something that you can infer from gestures and the situation and it's just a little banter, that's fine. But the incessant Norwegian and German drove me nuts. I kept turning on the subtitles option only for the English dialogue to be regurgitated. It's a cute film, a great story at the center, based around Inge's vivid memory, spectacular for a low budget...I think this got added to my queue when I was on a WWII flick kick.

If you've never met my brother and you get the two of us together, people are astonished at how much we look alike, that we say some of the stupid things and that we are so not alike. He can't stand letterbox/widescreen and never, I mean never, watches Bonus Features. It is PAINFUL for me to watch stretched out and cropped hacked versions of a director's work and is it essential for me to watch everything extra a dvd can provide. I want to learn everything about a filming I can, I love the stupid details! The more I like a work, the more features I want to see! I am terribly disappointed when producers put out a dvd without features other than the commentary. Of all bonus materials, the commentaries are my least favorite. More often then not, I get through 5-7 minutes and turn off the commentary. What I really hate is when they have several players record separate audio tracks and edit them together - no interaction means it sucks. Some of my absolute favorite commentaries come from Deadwood - nothing better than have the actors of that series telling naughty stories and laughing hysterically.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Bonus Disc: Spielberg, Lucas and Co. do not let us down. They did a great job with extras on the first three Indy films, back at a time where they didn't need to have bonus content. There were over two hours of extras, which just adds to my "Cliffie/Cheers" persona.

No comments: