Friday, November 7, 2008

lost iron mice

the mice have kept me from my "normal" routine. Haven't really felt comfortable on the couch (which gets pulled up and looks like Stonehenge when I'm not on it) and there's no tv in the spare room. Although, I'm working my way through Monkey, which is well worth it!

The Lost Room: A Sci-Fi miniseries I caught part of when it was originally released. Really great five plus hours of story telling, it's just too bad that Sci Fi never picked it up as a series. I think that each of the objects have their own story to tell and would have had enough momentum to run two, three years. I doubt they would have been able to pay Peter Krause and Julianna Margulies their normal tv salaries, though. I didn't like the fact that it was supposed to be "based" in Pittsburgh. There wasn't anything Pittsburgh about it. Granted, they threw in little Easter Eggs like a flyer that has a Steelers ad and going to a Penn State game (I can't believe the university agreed!)

Speaking of Easter Eggs (DVD), Iron Man was spectacular. Casting Robert Downey, Jr was the smartest thing Marvel did (it opened up the audience and what I believe is the key to the returns.) I read in an promo article that Downey was so thoroughly excited that someone was casting him as someone he's most like - maybe more that he was cast as someone who would like the things he does. The guy is a martial arts nut, loves cars, etc, outside of the whole, "his acting is living, breathing art." Although, Jon Favreau at the helm - he's really doing well for himself, no doubt. ILM outdoes themselves on every movie, I thought the footage was truly seamless. The Deuce is in negotiations, despite the fact that it was announced literally after the first week's returns. It appears that Terrance was the first to sign onto the original project and his salary was immense in comparison to the other players. For reason Marvel cites and Howard's camp will not bite, they have chosen to replace him with Don Cheadle. I'm a huge fan, but can he bring the same soft spoken intensity to a military man? We've seen him pull big turns with characters, but is he Marvel material?

When you're watching Iron Man on DVD, in the Special Features menu, use the left arrow key to scroll - you'll find a logo in between the bottom feature and the main menu. It's a great throwback to Stan Lee's cameo. I like to go through and see if the producers throw anything in. I remember how excited I was when I found the flyers that were reported to be posted on college campuses for teaser Star Wars II websites. I should take time to see where those are posted online - the Easter Egg DVD links..

No comments: