Saturday, November 15, 2008

affairs of state

Seems I've chosen two films with overlapping themes unbeknownst to me!

Most times, it pays to know what everyone else wants, who they owe and their debts before laying your own plans. I rather enjoy the historical/period fiction based on real events and people. The Affair of the Necklace plays on the actual court drama that helped to fuel the French growing distaste of Marie Antoinette. An Ideal Husband plays on the illusion of perfection and past misdeeds. I pulled it off the shelf to read (I've actually never read it!) this week. The cast is amazing, so many actors I'd put on my top shelf. Cate Blanchett, who I've gushed about before; Julianne Moore who is always so entrancing; Minnie Driver plays the saucy one (did you know how well she sings?); Jeremy Northam was a brilliant Sir Thomas More and Rupert Everett - well, he could do more with his talents...

No comments: