Saturday, November 8, 2008

guess who's coming...

...to the White House. I thought, that with the American choice of President-Elect Obama, I'd pull out a classic Hollywood race relations movie. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner meant something very different to me 12 years ago when I first saw it; that just shows how much I've grown as well as my view of our world. What shocked me today is the certainty that these reactions are still happening in our country. In fact, I know a family who's going through something eerily similar except they don't have that cinematic San Fran view. I'm the last one who wants to seem overly idealistic, but it would be nice to think that with the upcoming administration, people's hates and fears may start to melt away with the reality of how blind and unfounded these prejudices are.

On a side note, Katharine Hepburn, as always, was spectacular. She was glassy-eyed, brimming with tears during the entire shoot. One would say she embodied a mother; realising, acknowledging and sharing in the happiness of her daughter's love. What intensity she had to bring to the set everyday! Then, I thought about how the movie was financed. The production had trouble finding an insurance backer because Spencer Tracy was ill and really at the end of his life. She put up her salary against returns to have the movie made. Tracy died withinn two weeks of the wrap. Knowing the history of their affair, those tears might as well have been her knowledge that the love of her life was at the end of his. I'm sure if I look, I can find someone who's published those exact thoughts...

No comments: