Tuesday, December 2, 2008

sandler not playing to his audience

When I asked my brother and sis-in-law what they'd like to watch over Thanksgiving, they both said any new Adam Sandler movies. You Don't Mess With The Zohan was the newest. Honestly, I hadn't read any reviews and only knew the premise. Chris and Dana are huge Sandler fans, know so many movies back and forth. They were completely alienated from Zohan, didn't get it at all, no clue. I snickered throughout the entire movie, but I understand world politics, culture, etc. This had to be a personal project for Sandler and co. because I believe it didn't play to his normal audience. C&D hated it, only because they didn't understand the jokes, the premise, really nothing about it. They don't watch the news, maybe glance through the Sunday paper, but when I mentioned that this movie more or less spoke about the fight over land, peace in the Middle East, blank stares were all I got.

It was a typical Sandler movie, with potty humor and dick gags, so you don't expect cinematic greatness. However, the stunts were great, funny, very fitting. After watching the bonus features, it was great to know that a microcosm of peace was attained. The Palestinians/Arabs and Israeli/Jews really were able to get along and see past the hatred and fighting. They learned to see one another as human beings.

If it is possible for you to get past the Sandler-ness of this film, it's really making a great social statement.

No comments: