Wednesday, December 3, 2008

CA + sex

By now, Californication has lost the "they didn't just do that", at least when it comes to fucked up sex moments. I certainly have my favorite moment, who couldn't love the opening scene on the pilot where Hank is getting a hummer from a nun? I truly, honestly, from the bottom of my heart, believe the week was the best episode from the series. It's still got some of the "no way" moments, all believable in my world. What they finally did was tap into the core of this show - Hank and Karen's love story.

We've seen what a wreck he makes of his life when they're not together, and while it's very interesting and full of cardio, he's a shell of a man. When they are together on screen, while not a couple, we get a glimpse of two people who's timing has shifted, they argue like any other couple, granted, not everyone makes the mistake of going down on a stranger, but we see the constant struggle that defines a real relationship.

This story line of this episode parallels the beginning of their relationship, which gives us the perfect opportunity to see into their past. Shocker, they sound the same at the beginning, even Hank. In the present, he pines for Karen, drowns his sorrow in pussy and too much booze, but not a minute goes by that you don't know that he's incomplete. Yes, he does talk about it, but his heart is never fully exposed - until you see the past and their start.

The letter he wrote to Karen, which I kept trying to pause on and read (I gave up hoping that they'd finally reveal it or I'd do an extensive search online for some obsessed fan who did a screen capture), bares Hank's true heart. As his letter was read as a voice over with a montage of pre-Becca moments, I found myself hearing the words my heart has spoken many a time. This letter captures the essence of Californication - relationships are difficult, they are hard, nothing happens with great timing, but we can work through it. Having a gut instinct and making the leap of faith and trusting it will work. The feeling of finding a home.

No comments: