Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Journey of Blockheads

No matter how many times I've seen it (going on maybe 28 or so?) the Charlie Brown holiday specials never get old. Actually, the Rankin/Bass don't either (come back in six weeks and I'll go on and on about Heat and Snow Meiser.) I called my nephew, Corbin, last night to wish him an early Halloween since I'll be working and my brother, Chris, and I got to talking about holiday specials. His wife, Dana, and I had discussed whether or not she thought Corbin was ready for Nightmare this year. I found out last night my brother never watched the whole thing. I assume it's because it's the new Goth kid bible (took the place of Anne Rice books), and he's so hates that scene that he'd dismiss it. I remember going to see it at the theater in 1993; my mom bought it on VHS for me as soon as it was released. My old roommate Smoothie and I watched it so many times that year between Halloween and Christmas, that his jock ass was running all over the house asking "What's This?" I was never and will never be Goth, I think Tim Burton is a genius (have seen everything he's released) and as for Danny Elfman, I can sing Oingo Bingo songs until you have a headache (doesn't take very long). Needless to say, I never miss the holiday specials, own most of them on dvd now, and find delight in sitting in front of the tv with a snack every year (the past three, I've worn my matching tshirts.)

Journey to the End of the Night. I'm almost ashamed to talk about it and one of my childhood favorites... There was just too much going on, felt like swiss cheese. I can't tell if Mos Def pulled this one off or just completely embarrased himself. Brendan Fraser, hell, I think he gets draws the short straw too often. Although, somehow, I felt he tapped into the same wife-stealing vibe from The Quiet American in Journey, the guy's got chops. Yeah, he rakes in the box office on action stuff, plays complete idiots in cartoon rehashings, but he can act. Haven't seen Gods & Monsters? Netflix it now; not only do you see a fabulous Ian McKellen, but BF shows he's not just a cave/jungle man. I know I may lose some of my kool points, but I do like watching Brendan Fraser, even in Monkeybone.

No comments: