Wednesday, October 22, 2008

From the farm...

First day to really wear a real coat. Pulled the $8.74 tag off as I lifted it off the jacket hook - it has been there since I moved into the house in May. Guess it should have been in a closet because it's sunbleached, but not in a good way. In the car, pulling out at the light by the house...and a stink bug crawls out of the sleeve and into my palm. Chalk a big save down for me; I only slightly freaked out and managed to miss the SUV who thought a yield sign didn't apply to him and didn't smash the nasty trilobite lookin critter.

Cloyd, the old guy that cuts my two acres of grass, finally trimmed the branches of the HUGE maple that hang on the back porch. Didn't realize that it's now a much clearer view of the shower. Guess I'll have to hang a blind here, anyhow. Then again, what peeping tom is going to hang out on the vast wasteland hoping to see my nakedness?

The frost killed the great orange and yellow happy flowers that graced the front of the house. What's crazy is the fancy marigolds I planted - the ones that lost their petals in the first week from the wind - decided to bloom last week. THEY have managed to make it through the frost. What kind of punishment is that? These big green blotches that I refused to dig up (flowers are expensive) were a blight all summer only to pop out in October. Maybe it's just the climate crisis.

Oh yeah! I got all the heat working properly. Granted, I think I will perpetually live in wool sweaters and clogs all winter so that I don't have to pay for the expensive black sludge needed to fire up the boiler. Sixty degrees isn't so bad, is it?

No comments: