Monday, June 8, 2009

live flesh

no. 81 Live Flesh

I wish I could remember what my first Pedro Almodovar movie was - maybe The Flower of My Secret at the Graduate Center Film Night? All I know is I have had a love affair with my favorite gay Spanish filmmaker ever since!

Surprisingly, this is the first non-English speaking film I've seen Javier Bardem in...and he has a manly voice in this! None of that girly loftiness we hear WAY too often. And talk about method! his wheelchair skills were mad! I can't imagine the time it too to prepare for this role. I had a hard time watching this - I really wanted to pay attention to how he delivered his lines, his expressions. Terribly difficult to do when reading subtitles ;*(

Not my favorite Almodovar film, but really dug it. Angela Molina was amazing.

Why Live Flesh? I'm certain we're loosing out in that translation!

No comments: