Wednesday, June 3, 2009

firefly

Yes, I did just talk about the mating habits of fireflies...what a great segway into the Jossiverse.

I was living in a bus when Firefly originally aired, so anything that happened around showtime was a mystery to me. Although, I'm kinda glad I got to sit down and watch the entire series over the course of a week. There's no nail biting round these parts! It's a shame that it didn't survive, it was so utterly unique. Yeah, the whole space cowboy thing is far from new, but who's done it on tv, as a series? Nathan Fillion does a fine job showing off his Han Solo skills - we get 14 episodes of what Han may have been like before Leia. His questionable cargo, firefights. Although, Mal has already lost his war, lost his hope. Doesn't make him any less shiny! (man, I do like this boy! I was gushing about Castle when I was with DR and Payne in April and they thought I was being SOOO girly!)

Having been a rabid fan of Deadwood, reading HL Mencken's The American Language, I really could appreciate the craft in Firefly's writing. The mixture of what the world would be like if the States and China were the only one's left standing, it would actually feel a little bit like Tokyo, well, kinda :) Everything is so Americanized, with a panache of Chinese. It's like HBO lite. They can say shit, but if it's in Mandarin, woowoo! FCC kiss my ass!

Serenity, herself, is gorgeous. The ensemble cast was put together...by a old friend's ex. She really did a great job! We already know I'm keen on Nathan, but the cast felt like family. I loved Adam Baldwin as Jayne - his ability to continuously act like a child was refreshing :)

Now...off to watch the movie! Gotta love when you get a gem like this throw at you from your Netflix queue!

No comments: