Friday, June 5, 2009

hedwig

no. 80 Hedwig and the Angry Inch

I cannot watch this without crying. Sobbing, actually.

Steven Trask's music is so beautiful - the pieces all stand well on their own and as a sum of their parts. He rocks, he smashes, he brings tears to my eyes. An old friend is an amazing musician and I have BEGGED him so many times to listen to the soundtrack, but he's such a stoic homophobe that he won't even do it in the name of music. (I love him to pieces, but I think it really is about his religion and not his own insecurities. Belief is great, but it can be so hindering.)

I mentioned last week that when I watched CTHD and HOFD, I didn't see a martial arts film, I saw a story about love. Yes, I am a unique individual, I believe in people, in their hearts, not their affectations. Love knows no boundaries. Love knows no gender. I've also said that I love a good story, no matter what the medium. You can pull a painful story from a statue, a photo, a poem. I always see the story, in items, in people. Hedwig believes that a soul mate exists for her, that she is not whole without he or she (technically, that's manifested in Tommy, but)... I think her story is truly about loving herself, her whole self, as she is.

I SOOO wanted to see this in it's original form when I was in school - when I moved to LA, I remember they started holding Rocky Horror-esque showings of the movie. I got Scott and Eddie to head to a midnight show, but it was sold out. Once they actually watched the film, I couldn't get them out the door ;(

Did I fail to mention how amazing John Cameron Mitchell is? gush.

No comments: