Monday, July 5, 2010

the doctor

This post is a real cut and paste of emails shared with a fellow doctor lover, Aeon. For someone who started watching kicking and screaming, I'm a real fan. Sooner or later I'm going to have to go back and start watching all the other incarnations or I'll just be stuck living in a Stephen Moffat creation.

Matt Smith surpassed my expectation, a thousand fold. I can’t wait to see the new eps. Yeah, I didn’t like the DW logo since it first premiered, but I’m starting to think that with two much “younger” characters, they are hoping for a bump in the demographic, especially in the states.

Didn’t like Ep2, had a bad feeling, the flow was off. I only liked it once the story got tied up at the end. I LOVE Sophie Okonedo and recognized her voice immediately. I really can’t believe that the first episode was so amazing, hit all the marks and this seemed below flat. When Liz Ten was talking about growing up on the Doctor’s stories, I thought Mickey and Martha for sure.

Loved the chubbier and Skittle colored Daleks!

Dr. River Song? Weren’t her heels amazing? I can’t pull off heels at all, my back don’t allow it. I can pull off 4” platforms, yes, but suffer from hot shoe envy. Best part about River? I totally called it with David Tennant – they’re married. If that doesn’t take the cake, I don’t know what does. The bummer is that Alex Kingston admits in an online clip that Matt Smith isn’t her doctor, her doctor is of the future. They’ll have to put her contract in lockdown until the next Doctor who’s “hers” and we might see a little of Mr. Doctor. hehehehe I didn’t like the dress either, it would have been more appropriate for an 80 year old, but a LBD with those shoes would have been fantastic, but we might have been privy to a little more skin when she’s blown out the door! It was a good “to be continued” especially when you know there’s a whole lot past this episode to be continued. Although, I’m a little concerned with who River killed. Just the way they kept saying it made me feel like she killed the Doctor. Dunno.

“If you had any more tawdry quirks, you could open up a tawdry quirks shop.” What EXACTLY does that mean if you’re saying it to yourself? LOL It deserves a second watch. The dream vs dream vs reality was soooo very clever. I thought about it today when I was driving (not a good time to think about tv)… I was kinda missing David Tennant, but I’m over it. Matt is different but just as many tawdry quirks that nearly make him an equal.

I was overwhelmed with the decision to take Vincent to see his works in the present. The Doctor knows he must be careful not to change the fixed points in history, but still takes a very fragile man to a special place. He gives Vincent the gift of hope – at least he believes he has. Most people who live with a serious mental illness and express suicidal ideation don’t do so thinking about next week, it’s about the pain stopping today. Ultimately, Vincent hit that wall, but he did so knowing that his work would be important, even the mundane haystacks. If we all were given the gift to see the ultimate byproduct of our lives, would we choose the knowledge? Does it become a chicken and egg issue? Would that provide the drive that is needed to complete the tasks we should complete?

Would you walk out the doors of the Tardis if given the chance to see what you are to accomplish in this life?

No comments: