Thursday, May 21, 2009

vc blah

no. 75 Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Can't say I ever got into Woody Allen. Still can't say I have. One would think I'd dig his overly pretentious neuroticism, but he doesn't do it for me. The man is unbelievably prolific, very talented, interesting tabloid fodder, but I'm not a fan. I was hoping this "Euro" approach might pull me in, but it's just the same blah.

HOWEVER, Penelope Cruz was fucking amazing, amazing, amazing. I was introduced to her via Almodovar, so I've seen her native speaking chops. She's more than an intriguing beauty, she can act. She also managed to allow Javier Bardem seem more manly (thank god he had a decent cut and used a little more of his lower range in his speaking voice.) I never saw Live Flesh...I bet it's buried in my ancient Netflix queue. Seriously, it's been running for about six years.

No comments: