Wednesday, May 20, 2009

crouching tiger

no. 74 Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

I never really got into Asian film until CTHD. I didn't dig Bruce Lee and that seemed to be the only thing I could find. Ang Lee's blend of the traditional Wuxia, the beautiful "dance" style rather than straight up Kung Fu and the story of feminine repression (Sense &Sensibility) really struck a chord. After it's American release, 2001 marked my year of entry to the Year of the Snake and an intrige with Asian storytelling. Whether it be Hong Kong art films of Kar Wai Wong, little or big Tony Leung, Zhang Yimou and his muse Gong Li, Japanese period pieces; Kurosawa classics (Kazu Miyagawa's goregous vision, sigh!), although I'm not really into J-horror and can only deal with anime as a side dish. Granted, those are the most popular and mainstream... (Thank you Netflix!)

No comments: