Tuesday, May 12, 2009

dogma doubt?

no. 69 Dogma & no. 70 Doubt

Wow, do these two go hand in hand or what? Yeah, I figured I'd continue on my little Kevin Smith kick and pop in one of my all time favorite movies. I remember first reading about Dogma in 1999, living in NOLA, the first of the EW toilet reader years. I couldn't wait for someone like me to make a movie about their take on religion, tongue in cheek the whole way. It didn't disappoint, and ten years later, I still feel the same way. The message gets fucked up when you surround it with rules, it's about having a good idea. No one has, nor do I feel that anyone will get it right, ever; it will be a boring fight between factions until the end of our days here on earth.

Doubt was phenomenal. Cast aside, the story was amazing. Cast in place, holy cow! It's no wonder all four actors got Oscar nods. If I wasn't afraid that my dad might have a knee jerk reaction, I'd love to watch this with him. Granted it was rural, but he and his six siblings all attended parochial school at this exact time; I think his read would be priceless. Viola Davis was stunning as a mother who loves her son but is frightened of the world he is choosing to live in.

No comments: