Wednesday, September 2, 2009

torchwood

Torchwood Seasons One, Two and (Three) Children of the Earth

WOW, I went for the full on Torchwood review. I'd seen an episode here or there, but wasn't really interested because it was a spin off of Doctor Who and I'm not a Doctor girl. DR is the Doctor type, it's just so campy and goofy, although, I'm going back and watching it starting with Russell Davies run with Christopher Eccleston for posterity's sake...ha! I'm so glad that I decided to watch Children of the Earth on it's BBC America run because I loved it! It seems that I was horribly wrong to dismiss Torchwood so quickly because it's a world that I totally love.

Season One was good, but I concur with many that it was iffy. I made the Netflix commitment, so I went through with it and glad I did. Season Two was great, excellent. Aliens, supernatural, guns and sex. hmmmm, is that right up my alley?

I really enjoy the characters - to me, they are real people, I can see them sitting in my living room enjoying a pint and laughing about a blowfish, that is, if they had the time. The casting is excellent - granted, I don't know UK tv, so I'm not versed on their CVs and other actors that might have fit the bill. John Barrowman is overwhelmingly intense, over the top in his actions, I can't help but laugh out loud everytime he pulls out his antiquated pistol and starts waving it around. And the coat...I read that he was one of the three candidate for Will (and Grace) and he didn't get the part because they felt he wasn't gay enough. Did they know he WAS gay? I think the world might be a better place that he didn't get the part. Although, he would have been able to do Broadway rather than West End and Americans would have been wowed by him on stage.

No comments: