Sunday, September 20, 2009

lions for lambs

no. 140 Lions for Lambs

We have the indulgence to ignore the world around us. We're so steeped in twitter feeds from Chris Brown's past domestic abuse issues, MJ's drug us that we don't have to pay attention to the work around us. In 1968, people had no choice. There were three tv channels, one main paper in town. War is what you heard about, it's what everyone talked about, it's what everyone knew. Now I have the luxury to ignore the pain and suffering. I can block out today's tally of death in a war we're not actually taking part in. It's almost not fair that we have that ability to choose to ignore and not participate. I can watch a French New Wave film rather than understand why our country is losing solider after soldier. I envelope myself in security via Vogue and ads for clothing I could never afford rather than accept the reality. It's not that I choose to deny it, I just don't want to be reminded every moment about the waste of precious life and the horrible decisions occurring in the great hall of our government.

Engagement - personal interest in the world around us.
Buy ins - whatever it takes.
Self Interest - almost feels like a propaganda film, not pursing self thought, banking on our ignorance.

How easy it is to not make a choice at all. just sit back and bitch without responsibility. Oh yeah, I was supposed to talk about the film, right?

No comments: