Wednesday, September 30, 2009

too many, can't remember everything blog

no.151 Joint Security Area

Is this about politics or the men who are really on the ground with guns? People are people, no matter what side they're on. You could pull back and look at this film as we see children play - they have no eye for color, belief or money. Too bad we grow up and lose that ability, the world would be a much better place.

no.150 Hard Boiled

Need an example of how Hong Kong films go to extremes? I give you Hard Boiled with at least 45 min of dialogue-free gratuitous shoot em up. I made myself push through and watch the film, it's a different kind of action film, it's more of a semi-automatic opera. Little Tony gave a great performance, topping Chow Yun-Fat. You really can see how this was the transition film into Hollywood fare.

no.149 King of California

Loved Michael Douglas' conquistador look! He was Don Quixote. I believe he was called a deluded optimist. How that fuels his manic nature which pushes him toward his task, no matter how absurd or out of reach. Rachel Evan Wood really helped to sell the movie, she was the kid who took care of her parents, a role I understand too well.

no.148 Suicide Club

Another j-horror which really isn't scary, thank god. The Pleasure Room and Genesis was pulled directly from Rocky Horror. Everything from the way he sat on his throne, crossed his legs...

no.147 Swordfish

Again, another film that ran on cable forever...that I never saw from credits to credits. Hugh Jackman, again, what's with me and the hot? What was hot was Halle Berry nekked-ness. Seriously, can I just BUY her tits? Can I go to a doctor and say, "this is what I want!"?? It wasn't John Travolta's first turn and as the bad guy certainly not his best. At least they didn't make him dance.

no.146 Bedtime Stories

Sandler got a bad rap with this film, but it is a kids film, it's NOT the Sandler we've grown up with. I think it's the same reason why Zohan didn't do well, people want to see Happy Gillmore, not Sandler doing other funny things. I thought it was cute. Loved the gum balls.

no.145 Thomas Crown Affair

Again, that Steve McQueen. I wasn't sure what to expect considering I saw the remake a million times in the 90s (it was on USA, TBS, etc all the time.) I loved the 60s feel, especially Faye Dunaway's unbelievable outfits, so mod! The classic "what do you get for the man who has it all?" It's not always about having things, but how you obtain them. I know plenty of guys like that...

no.144 Color of Freedom/Goodbye Bafana

Honestly, I don't know how well this follows the true history of Nelson Mandela's time in prison. Although Mandela could be seen as the pivot for this film, it's really about the relationship between Dennis Haysbert and Joseph Fiennes, how both men are changed by being in one another's lives. Although it's kind of a sleeper, I enjoyed it.

no.143 Towelhead

Alan Ball does not disappoint to shock, never. This film wouldn't exist if we were Pre-American Beauty. It taps directly into the young girl next door, which isn't close to barely legal. I liked seeing Aaron Eckhart pile on the charm then turn into the peevo down the street. Again, characters who live on the fringe, just on the edge. Toni Collette, as always, makes an indelible mark as the woman who thinks she's doing everything for the right reason but shocked when faced with reality. The father/daughter chemistry seems overwhelming, but hits the mark. Do as I say, not who I fuck is a very interesting line to walk. I guess it goes with the idea that a man beats his wife everyday, even if there appears to be no reason.

no.142 RocknRolla

My mind must be on hotness. Gerard Butler, hello? Thandie Newton is SOOO hot, they really are steamy together. Tom Wilkinson never fails to impress me, he can do it all. I think this was probably a little more accessible than Guy Richie's other films (ie. my brother would be able to follow along because the accents are easy.) A good way to waste the time, a really hope he DOES do a follow up.

no.141 The Magnificent Seven

Another one of those "I can't believe it's taken me this long to watch it!" films. Although Yul Brenner didn't feel like a gun for hire (his walk is so regal!) I really enjoyed the film. Being a big Kurosawa film, I loved being able to draw the parallels and misfires. Steve McQueen is really hot, seriously.

No comments: