Thursday, April 2, 2009

what happened, happened

LOST, ep overthehump, What Happened, Happened


I put my notebook down and watched this solo, it was so good, you know it was going to be, I didn't want to miss enjoying it fully, in one piece.

Lots of purpose. Last week, Sayid got his purpose. This week, we're getting loads of it.

I'm really touched that the writers chose for Kate to return for Aaron, to look for his mum. I felt as if her return to the island pretty much negated her personal growth off the island. No, her return truly shows just how far she has come, the fact that regardless of what Ben would/will become, she continues to make a choice with the interest of a child rather than be one herself. Kate, she did alot of work. Not only did she find Cassidy and give her some money, they apparently became BFFs. She spilled the beans big time, despite Cassidy calling Sawyer a coward, that he jumped off the helio because he couldn't face the life that he and Kate could have had together (which he doesn't deny.) Although, she won't tell the truth about Aaron, "because I have to." She made friends with Roger Workman, which was heartfelt. She could see him as a dad, trying to do his best. "I thought I was gonna be the greatest father, ever. Guess it didn't turn out that way. I guess a boy just needs his mother."

Jack has turned into the world's biggest dick. Not only will he not help little Ben, he throws the surgery he already performed in Kate's face, that he did it for her and he doesn't need to do it again. No one likes the new Jack. Juliet gets in his face. He came back because he cared and wanted to save her, but she didn't need saving, period. Jack came back because he was supposed to. Supposed to what? asks Juliet. I don't know yet. "Well you better figure it out." Looks like Sawyer isn't the only one who wants to keep playing house, as Juliet points out, they didn't need saving.

Hurley and Miles go at it about time travel. As always, we can count on Hurley to ask the big questions. He pulled the whole Marty McFly and waved his hand, looking to see if he was disappearing. Miles tries to explain the whole, yes this happened, but it didn't happen to us in the here and now. Hurley keeps throwing new things, Miles gets confused. The Odd Couple meets Doc Brown.

Sawyer isn't helping Kate to save Ben, "She (Juliet) said, no matter what he's going to grow up to be, it's wrong to let a kid die. So that's why I'm going this. I'm doing it for her." Good for Sawyer, yes, he admits that he jumped off the helio because he wasn't fit to be Kate's boyfriend or Clementine's father, but it takes alot of self awareness and soul searching to admit to that. His expressions are priceless, you see the curiosity of a father wanting to know all about his little girl, but the pain and loss not being able to witness it himself. "She looks just like you when she smiles."

Ben will be saved, but in return, he will not be the same person, he will not "remember" (just the shooting? who helped him?) but he will lose his innocence and always be one of us, an Other. I think it's a transformation much like Anakin becoming Darth Vader. Good intentions sometimes create a bad outcome. Maybe I could articulate that better...

As for Roger Linus, I think we're meant to see him as a worried father not as redemption, rather to show that even the "bad guys" start with good intentions, ie. little Ben's words to Kate hoping his father will forgive him for stealing the keys.

I'm sure I have more to say, but I gotta get to State College...

No comments: