Saturday, August 8, 2009

the wackness

no.127 The Wackness

You know a movie is starting on the right foot when you see a fantasy evoking the Fly Girls. Seriously, I needed this movie tonight. Not just for reminding me where I was the summer of 1994 (in Shapiro's shoes ready to walk into the rest of my life,) but for reminding me that you must keep everything in perspective.

"...you have this really shitty way of looking at things, ya know. I don't have that problem, I just look at the dopeness. But you, its like you just look at the wackness."

This is all about the journey of two men at very different and very similar points and times in life, crossroads, beginnings, endings all in one. Parallel honeymoons coming to the same unfortunate conclusion - be careful once you start tagging things or marking your territory. It's really a beautiful thing to see two very different people come together and be what the other needs, sometimes asking for help, sometimes offering.

I, too, felt the same as Shapiro about becoming a shrink, "I figure I'm an expert because everyone around me is so fucking crazy." The music was great, it really felt like that summer - well, if I would have been able to go to Fire Island rather than Woodstock's 20th anniversary. I remember all the talk about how Giuliani was changing the town - it's great to see how that time has stamped it's vibe. Anyone who didn't live in the city felt that Giuliani's clean up of Time Square's XXX peep shows was the next best thing to sliced bread. In fact, when I was in the city last month, I had to remind a friend's mom that the subway isn't what she remembered from her visits in her youth. It's interesting to see how some of the city felt that he might have been taking away a bit of their liberties. I can't imagine sitting in the park with a forty and a joint, and I am far from square. Best quote, "Try to fuck a black girl, I never got to in college." Believe me, we all can use a little variety and to have our hearts broken.

No comments: