Wednesday, August 5, 2009

inkheart

no.123 Inkheart

So rarely do I get to say...I loved this!!! I didn't know anything about it other I normally watch anything Brendan Fraser does and it was a children's book adaptation, so the story was a wonderful surprise. What would be better than to read aloud a passage from a book, words that you hold to your heart, possibly bringing to life your heart's desire? Let me tell you, if it hadn't already appeared on screen as perfectly as it was written, there is this perfect hot scene in a terribly good book...I'll keep that to myself.

This glowing review is really short of the norm. Had I known this book and wasn't like a little kid with my bowl of popcorn, excited to see what happened next, I would be able to say this really fell a little flat, but I'm not going to ruin my fun by dicing this up. I loved the idea and the characters, but the second watch might hurt, once the shine wears away and I'm actually paying attention to the film. The acting was a bit phoned in at times. I'm not a kid and don't need how Mo became a Silvertongue, but there were some gaps, to say the least.

Moral of the story is that I will pick up the book - what I'm reading, now that I'm checking on actor's spelling, is that reviews were not good.

I was gleefully giggling as I realized who and WHAT was in the stable...Pan's Crocodile, the flying monkeys! oh yeah, and a unicorn, god only know where that was from ;) Although I normally melt watching the charming Fraser, it was great to see him as the smart guy, not the physical hero. He tried to act clumsy on the roof, but the next minute he's bounding up stairs three at a time, his normal aptitude. Rafi Gavron was the adorable thief (remember the cute slave in Rome?) As for Paul Bettany, my jaw dropped at his, well, fire throwing ability while, um, shirtless. How cute was it that Jennifer Connelly played the little part of his wife? Helen Mirran is great as the old dame who decides its time for her own adventure. Andy Serkis, is, well, Andy Serkis, I can never say words that are befitting other than Andy is as Andy does..and it is always a guilty pleasure to watch him. Jim Broadbent's intro was spot on, especially with cake batter on his face. Now that I've practically gone through the entire cast...

No comments: